8×10″ gouache on black mixed media board
Here are the rest of them! It was super fun and challenging.
Frankenstein’s Monster (OK Meg’s Monster)BatAmuletGrave – inspired by the Forks CemeteryDemonMaskCreature from the Black LagoonSkull (otter)8-bit zombieCandy (laaaazy)GoreJust doin skeleton stuffMummyRatWitchBlack CatScarecrow (get it??)SpiderDragon
A HUGE thanks to everyone who came to this, my favorite convention, and especially to those of you who stopped by to talk or buy art. I appreciate you! I had great neighbors, too. Here is a picture dump of the Drawloween sketches from the last few days! Raven, moon, eyeball (titled by The Husband: Apt Pupil), and alien.
Ghost by Meg Lyman
8×10″ gouache on board
Who knows what tragic fate met this octopus? Was its demise untimely, caused by an errant seal or bird? Perhaps something more sinister… It’s up to you to put this haunted soul to rest by avenging its death.
This was my first time using Multimedia Artboard, and it was fun to play with! Using watered down white gouache on the black board was super fun. It dries more transparent than you lay it down, giving you some cool ragged puddle effects and opportunity for multiple layers. Next time I’ll try painting more opaque on them to see what happens.
La Ofrenda by Meg Lyman
11×14″ gouache on paper
This one was a labor of love. It taught me artistic patience, and that I will forever need extra tubes of M. Graham’s “Gamboge” gouache because I am maybe a little obsessed with it. In honesty, I am very pleased with parts of this and very displeased with others. I suppose that’s always how it is when you’re trying new things… but I bet you can’t tell which parts are which. If not… success!
Here’s a bit of a WIP: I drew it out on 11×14″ paper, transferred it to this glorious cold press paper, Strathmore Aquarius II. So velvety. I underpainted a sort of grisaille of magenta to help me remember light sources. It helped but I didn’t stick to it religiously.
I chose a limited palette simply by picking only a few tubes of paint to use. Then, paint! Some of it is opaque and some transparent. The sugar skull was painted in opaque, and looked awful, so I scrubbed it with a paper towel and got this lovely transparent, textured finish. Also it didn’t buckle but a little bit, which was fixed by wetting the backside (once it was all done) and pressing it overnight. Paper love!
Cat Ghoul by Meg Lyman
1.25″x2.5″ oil on board
October has to be my favorite month. Cloudy, blustery, beautiful colors everywhere… and Halloween. Skulls! Graveyards! Haunting! I’ve been doing some skull still life paintings for practice, so I’ll share them with you this month. This one is trying out three new oil colors I ordered and it’s on a teeny tiny piece of Stampbord. I really like the sturdy surface in those small sizes – they come as small as 1″ squared! It’s not necessarily made for oils, but it works quite well. The only thing I noticed is that it was pretty absorbent… but that could also be the new oils I was using.
On the recommendation of a WetCanvas forum, I decided to sample Williamsburg Nickel Yellow, Blockx Green Earth, and Maimeri Bitumen. All three brands were recommended as high quality oil paints. I honestly don’t feel experienced enough to say that I can tell a huge difference in the quality, but I do like that none of them were all stiff like some of the cheap ones are. The Bitumen also has a very weird quality to it… when you squeeze it out, it’s got sort of a thick, sticky core surrounded by thinner, more oily paint. It is reminiscent of tar and delightful to play with.