Ghost by Meg Lyman

8×10″ gouache on board

Etsy listing

Who knows what tragic fate met this octopus? Was its demise untimely, caused by an errant seal or bird? Perhaps something more sinister… It’s up to you to put this haunted soul to rest by avenging its death.

This was my first time using Multimedia Artboard, and it was fun to play with! Using watered down white gouache on the black board was super fun. It dries more transparent than you lay it down, giving you some cool ragged puddle effects and opportunity for multiple layers. Next time I’ll try painting more opaque on them to see what happens.


2015 Cute Cephalopod Calendar!

They’re heeeeeere! Head to Etsy to Pre-order for delivery by 1 November.



Avengers Assemble by Meg Lyman

12×16″ gouache and ink on illustration board


A tribute to the Avengers Assemble Disney cartoon show. In case you don’t know, this show is very good. There is a lot of sass.


For the littlest Duck.

5×5″ oil on canvas


Nick Fury by Meg Lyman

5×7″ gouache on board

Etsy link

What are the Avengers without Nick Fury? Roughly 56 arms of heroic chaos, that’s what.

This guy was painted mostly with bristle filberts, because it’s on Pastelbord and anyone who’s worked with it knows that really, it is meant for pastels and what do you think you’re doing using delicate soft brushes. You may also know that tiny bristle brushes are pretty much useless, so this was a bit of a challenge. Cool textures, though.



An oldie but a goodie. I am so ready for Halloween.

Colored pencil on paper.


Purpalump by Meg Lyman

4×4″ gouache on board

For my cousin.


Blue Skull by Meg Lyman

4×4″ gouache on Aquabord

Etsy link

Using some lesser used gouache tube colors for funsies. This is a raccoon skull I found in the woods in Ohio.


Adora Octopus by Meg Lyman


for the Adora Art Project

When I have a commission for a digital end product, I ponder the pros and cons of illustrating digitally. I truly love painting and will avoid digital work like the plague, despite the fact that it’s cheaper and faster. In this case, the commission was for a website, so painted traditionally or digitally, the only thing the client needed was a .jpg. In other cases, like logo design, the product must be digital. Sometimes in these instances, even when I have the choice, I’ll pick traditional painting and scan it in. In this case, I didn’t have much time to finish it, and the subject wasn’t too complicated or serious (like I do anything serious), so I gave the digital painting a shot. It sure was quicker, and fun… but not nearly as fun as pushing paint around.

If illustration is your gig, digital painting give you a huge advantage. I just like getting paint under my fingernails too much to switch.


ACEO colored pencil and ink

For a friend.

Next Page »